How to Start a Student OrganizationPublished on Sep 08, 2015
Did you know there are over 70 student organizations you can join? Make sure to explore the current list to make friends and to get involved on campus. Have an idea for another student organization? Read below to discover how to create your own!
Creating a new student organization is very easy. All you need to do is:
1. Make an appointment with the Student Organization Council to talk about your interests.
2. Find at least ten students who want to be members of your organization.
3. Find a faculty or staff advisor for your organization
4. Complete and submit a Recognition Form to Student Activities and Leadership.
5. Attend Student Organization Training.
Recognition Forms for new student organizations are accepted from the first day of classes until the third Friday in October for the fall semester, and from the first day of classes until the first Friday in March for the spring semester.
Guidelines for Student Organizations
The key to the success of a student organization lies in its student involvement and leadership. Being a recognized student organization is a privilege and carries with it the responsibility to uphold the values of Columbia College Chicago. Each recognized student organization has an obligation to adhere to the following guidelines:
• Membership for student organizations is only open to currently enrolled Columbia College Chicago students.
• Must have a minimum of three executive board members.
• Must have and maintain a minimum of ten members in order to be recognized. This includes executive board members
• Student organizations will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, or economic status.
• All executive board members must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA and all general members must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
• Must have a Columbia faculty/staff advisor.
• Must complete and submit a recognition packet annually.
• Must file and keep current their membership roster and constitution, and update any changes with Student Activities and Leadership.
• Changes in the roster must be submitted immediately (This can be done through the online update to recognition form at http://www.colum.edu/Students/Activities/Forms/).
• The president and SOC representative of all student organizations must attend annual
student organization training.
• Each organization must comply with all regulations of Columbia College Chicago, as set forth in the Student Handbook and the Student Code of Conduct, and the laws of the State of Illinois. Any student organization that does not abide by the policies stated in this hand book and all regulations of Columbia College Chicago are subject to discipline and loss of recognition
Remember, all student organizations must complete an online Recognition Packet every year in order to gain/maintain recognition status. Columbia College Chicago does not recognize organized groups of students that have not registered with Student Activities and Leadership or are not coordinated by a Columbia College Chicago department. The following recognition guidelines have been established for existing student organizations and new student organizations.