Guide for Faculty and Staff

As a caring educational community, we at Columbia College Chicago believe that when we are aware of any student who is in crisis, it is our responsibility to provide the student with appropriate assistance. We would like you to be aware of various resources that are available to assist students who are in crisis.

Call 911

If you believe that there is an immediate threat to an individual or the college community call 911, then notify Campus Safety and Security.


If a student needs help with other distressing issues that do not require immediate attention (struggling with course work, time management problems, housing issues, financial issues, depression, career indecision):

Fill out an Every Advantage for a Successful Education (EASE) notification in OASIS.

Counseling Services

When should you refer a student to Counseling Services?

If you observe or have spoken to a student who is struggling with adjusting to campus life, relationship issues, conflict management, alcohol or drug problems, social skills issues, or may appear anxious or depressed.

How do you make a referral?

  1. First share your concern with the student and if you believe a referral should be made call 312-369-8700 to initiate the referral process.
  2. Prepare and provide the following information to the Counseling Services staff: your name, department, extension, the student’s name and a brief description of the problem.
  3. Alert the counseling staff that you have discussed Counseling Services with the student. Make sure the student is aware of your referral.
  4. Give the student Counseling Services contact information.

    Cordelia Muhammad, MSW, LCSW
    Interim Director

    731 S Plymouth Ct

    Services are provided by four full-time licensed therapists, two part-time licensed therapists, and four interns.

Student Relations
When do you contact the Student Relations office?
  • A student is being disruptive.
  • A student’s behavior is unreasonable, infringes upon or impedes the teaching or learning process; intentionally and unreasonably interferes with normal classroom procedures or presentations of the instructor or student(s); and/or interferes with other college authorized activity.
How do you contact the Student Relations office?
  • 312-369-8595 or 312-369-8778, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Student Health and Support Intervention Team

When do you refer a student to the Intervention Team?

If you observe or speak to a student who is experiencing emotional distress and is in need of immediate attention, for example:

  • a student talking about not being around or giving possessions away
  • a student expressing self-destructive or homicidal ideation, either verbally or in writing
  • a student expressing feelings of hopelessness

How do you contact the Student Health and Support Intervention Team?

312-369-8778, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., or email:

Beverly Anderson, Ed.D.
Assistant Dean of Student Health and Support

Amber Miller, LCPC
Assistant Director of Student Relations

Thomas (Lee) Cravens, MSW, LSW, CADC
Coordinator of Student Relations

College Advising Center

When do you report a student?

If you encounter a student who is experiencing academic, career and/or personal difficulties, which may manifest as

  • Poor attendance
  • Lack of classroom participation
  • Turning in assignments late

How do you make a referral?

Bill Friedman, M.F.A.
Assistant Dean of Student Development

For students unsure of their career path or experiencing academic problems, call 312-369-7645. College Advisors are available to provide holistic assistance to our students.

Services for Students with Disabilities

When should you refer a student?

If a student discloses that he or she has a disability.

How do you make a referral?

Be prepared to provide:

  • The student’s name.
  • Reason for believing the student has a disability.
  • Your name.
  • Course name.