International Student Health Insurance
Dates of coverage: August 25, 2016 – August 24, 2017
In an effort to provide quality health insurance at an affordable cost to Columbia College Chicago’s international students and scholars, the Office of International Student Affairs is pleased to announce the International Student Sickness and Accident Plan offered by the Lewer Agency.
Health care in the U.S. can be quite complicated and costly. A major accident or illness can create related expenses of $10,000 - $100,000 very quickly and very easily. If you do not have medical insurance to help cover some of the costs, you will be required to pay for these expenses.
With this in mind, Columbia College Chicago is offering a mandatory health insurance coverage requirement. All international students and visiting scholars are automatically enrolled in the insurance plan. Dependent coverage is not included in the plan. For assistance in finding a plan that’s right for your family, please visit our office or look at Lewer’s website dedicated to Columbia College Chicago at www.lewermark.com/ccc and click on “Insurance Options for your Spouse and Children”.
If you currently have insurance from your home country, you may apply for an insurance waiver. Submitting a waiver does not mean that it will be approved. You will be notified by email if your waiver has been approved or denied.
We are here to help you understand and utilize your policy. Remember to carry your insurance identification card with you at all times. If you do not present a valid health insurance I.D. card at a doctor's office, you will be expected to pay in full, at the time of service. Your insurance I.D. card is just as important to you as your school I.D. card, or passport. Get into the habit of keeping it with you.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of International Student Affairs at your earliest convenience.
Best wishes for a happy and healthy semester!
Office of International Student Affairs
Download the Plan Summary
Being sick or injured away from home can be a stressful experience and more so if students don't understand their health care options. Health care in the United States is very different from what you may be used to back home. For one thing, costs related to health care are expensive. Illnesses and accidents are always unexpected.
The LewerMark Sickness and Accident Plan provides comprehensive coverage for students, and scholars while at Columbia College Chicago. Lewer’s Extended Coverage policy automatically provides coverage up to 30 days in advance to newly enrolled students and 30 days following the completion of an educational program or graduation, as long as the student/scholar remains in the United States.
In addition, this plan also offers students and scholars coverage should they wish to travel anywhere in the U.S. and overseas, except in their home country.
- Plan Cost and Dates
- Fall 2016: August 25, 2016 – January 22, 2017: $583.31
- Spring 2017: January 23, 2017 – May 21, 2017: $459.71
- Summer 2017:
- May 22, 2017 – July 15, 2017: $212.46
- May 22, 2017 – August 24, 2017: $366.98
Insurance coverage for family members can be found at http://www.lewermark.com/insurance-options-for-your-spouse-and-children/
- When and How to Pay
- Payment for the Fall 2016 semester is due by Friday, September 11, 2016
- Payment for Spring 2017: Friday, January 27, 2017
- Payment for Summer 2017: Friday, May 26, 2017
All international students and visiting scholars are automatically enrolled in the insurance plan and a charge for the insurance will be applied to your OASIS student account.
There are two ways to make your insurance payment.
- In person, Bring a check or money order made payable to "Columbia College Chicago" to the Cashier’s Window located on the 3rd floor of the 600 S. Michigan Ave building. Be sure to write your OASIS number on the check, and indicate that it is a payment for "International Student Health Insurance." Keep the receipt for your records.
- Online, visit Student Financial Services, go to “Manage Your Account” and click on “Ways to Make a Payment to Columbia”.
- Petition for Waiver
If you have insurance from your country and do not want to be enrolled in the health insurance plan, you must apply for an insurance waiver. There is no application, but you must provide the following information. Please note that an application for an insurance waiver is not automatically approved. You will be notified by email if your waiver has been approved or denied.
- Provide an “Explanation of Benefits” of your insurance coverage. This must include
- Dates of coverage
- Benefits provided
- Policy and “Explanation of Benefits” must be in English.
- The waiver petition and supporting information must be submitted to the Office of International Student Affairs by the deadline indicated below!
- Fall 2016: Friday, September 9, 2016
Waivers must be approved to avoid being charged for the insurance!
All questions regarding the International Student Insurance should be directed to the Office of International Student Affairs at (312) 369-7458, by fax: (312) 369-8465 or via email email@example.com