Recently there is a decline of traditional animation, and an increase of computer animation jobs. Animation companies exist worldwide, and some also specialize in television, commercials, design, visual effects and films.
What it Takes
- Your job search arsenal includes a website, reel, resume, cover letter, business cards and software experience.
- Save everything. Get your work in a digital form, and store it securely.
- Experience is crucial. Prove yourself doing volunteer and internship work, and it will lead to other offers.
- Network. Nearly all hiring/offers for work come through relationships.
- Skill Set: Knowing the following areas: Traditional Hand-Drawn animation, CGI, Stop Motion. Additional Software: Maya, Cinema 4D, Blender, After Effects and others.
Sample Job Titles
Director of Photography
Post Production Coordinator
Post Production Supervisor
Chicago Area Resources
Women in Film: Chicago Organization featuring networking and professional development opportunities
Chicago Filmmakers: Workshops, networking, and equipment rental
Chicago Film Office: Coordinates filming in Chicago
Illinois Production Guide: Search production companies and other film-related resources
Animation World Network news, jobs, stories, interviews
Animation Industry Database – general database of resources for animation professionals.
Animation Career Review – mega database profiling different careers, salaries, skillsets, companies, etc.
Chris Oatley – a blog featuring a Disney Character Designer who answers your questions about Concept Art & Illustration
Film Specific: Business support for filmmakers