The fashion industry is always looking for talented professionals. Fashion designers work in wholesale or manufacturing establishments, apparel companies, retailers, theater or dance companies, and design firms. Aside from design, there are numerous careers within the fashion family. The fashion industry is a fast-paced arena that is constantly changing. As new clothing technology is developed, so will the need to create garments using new fabrics, and designs for stylish, yet affordable clothing.
What it Takes
- Strong, cohesive body of work. Both a print and online portfolio are ideal
- Have your Elevator Pitch (30 second speech of who you are & what you do) ready
- The right branding: Branding/Logo, Business Cards & Leave Behinds/Promo Pieces
- Listings of your work on free resource sites like Behance, etc.
- Internships will help you build relationships and learn the ropes
- Networking is the most effective way to find work
Sample Job Titles
Chicago Area Resources
Council of Fashion Designers – Education, events, and more for Fashion Designers
American Sewing Guild – Pattern Maker & Seamstress resource
Costume Society of America – Resource for costume makers in film & performing arts
National Retail Federation – Resource for Fashion Retailers
Fashion related groups on LinkedIn