Publishing covers a lot of areas in print and online mediums, to include magazines, books, newspapers, journals, directories, digital mediums and other platforms. Skills that are highly valued include technical skills, creative marketing, and understanding Intellectual Property.
What it Takes
- Your job search arsenal includes a resume, cover letter, business cards, examples of published work, a website and portfolio.
- Save everything and put your work in your online portfolio.
- Experience is crucial. Prove yourself doing interning and it will lead to other offers.
- Network. Nearly all hiring/offers for work come through relationships.
- Volunteer. Groups like Chicago Publishers Resource Center are great to meet people that are interested in self-publishing their work, and they have lots of events too.
Sample Job Titles
Advertising Sales Agents
Customer Service Publishing
Chicago Area Resources
Chicago Publishing Network – a blog about local publishing
Chicago Publishers Resource Center – provides access to space, education and resources to self publish. Also a great place for events and networking.
Chicago Women in Publishing - networking and professional development
Publishers Weekly – Trade magazine about publishing
Huffington Post – Publishing section of the online newspaper