Graduation Forms

In preparation for graduation, you will need to have the following forms completed:

  • Graduation Application

    You must submit a Graduation Application which lets us know that you are finishing up your degree program. If you plan on finishing your degree requirements in December 2016, May of 2017 or August 2017, the deadline for submitting this form is December 15, 2016. We cannot guarantee that students who submit their Graduation Application after December 15 will have their name included in the printed Commencement program.
  • Form 401

    This form will serve as your degree audit and will need to be signed by your Faculty Advisor and your Department Chair. Once it has been filled out and signed by the appropriate parties, please make sure this form is turned in to the Graduate Office (600 S. Michigan Ave. - Suite 200). This form should be complete and turned in the semester in which you will be finishing your coursework - that might be fall, spring, or summer. If you submit this form after the end of the semester in which you finish your coursework, there might be a delay in posting your degree to your academic record. Note: you do not need this form on file to walk in Commencement!

    This form is one you will likely never see, as it is exclusively completed by your department. However, it is a good idea to contact your department when you believe your thesis is complete to make sure they have signed this form and sent it to the Graduate Office. NOTE: If your program does not require a Thesis as part of your completion requirement, this form is waived for you and the only graduation forms you need to submit are the Application to Graduate and the Form 401.

The earlier you can get your forms taken care of, the better! 

Once the Graduate Office receives all the required forms, they will conduct an audit of your degree requirements. If you meet the requirements for your degree, your degree will be posted (meaning your Master's degree will be official and you can order transcripts to prove it). At that point, a diploma will be ordered for you (using the name listed on your Graduation Application) from the Office of the Registrar. Once your diploma arrives back from the printer, you will be contacted to make arrangements to either pick it up from the Office of the Registrar or have it mailed to you using certified mail (someone will need to be available to sign for it).