Applications for the 2019/2020 academic school year are currently being accepted.
The deadline for submission is February 22, 2019. The deadline is firm.
Clinincal Internship Description:
Clinical Interns will conduct intake assessments, individual therapy, case management and facilitate a psycho-educational group during the Fall semester. The same services are provided during the Spring semester with the addition of facilitating a process group. This internship requires being comfortable with providing crisis intervention services. Although rare, an intern may facilitate couples’ therapy. Although individual services are provided to students enrolled at Columbia College Chicago only, staff and interns provide a myriad of services to students, parents, faculty, and staff.
In an effort to enhance clinical progress through field education, the Counseling Services clinical team provides a safe place for clinical interns to express their thoughts and feelings. Interns are assigned a clinical supervisor with whom they meet with weekly. All clinicians at Counseling Services are available to assist clinical interns throughout the placement. Interns are encouraged to work toward resolving their issues by exploring alternative points of view. Additionally, the Counseling Services team partners with outside agencies and organizations to provide students with referrals when needed.
This internship requires flexibility, creativity, ability to self-reflect, cultural sensitivity and appreciation for accurate documentation. Counseling Services is part of the Office of Student Health & Support, under the Dean of Students Department, a Division of Student Affairs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete intake assessments which includes risk assessment, diagnostic impressions, level of care determinations, treatment plans and when appropriate, linkage/referral.
- Provide individual therapy, group psycho-education and group therapy to students.
- Handle crisis situations by evaluating risk for suicide, self-harm and harm to others.
- Participate in individual and group supervision as assigned.
- Complete assignments expected from both graduate program and Counseling Services.
- Participate in team meetings, case consultations and in-service trainings.
- Consult and interface with Columbia College Chicago students, parents, faculty, and staff when appropriate.
- Attend various Columbia College Chicago events within context of role as mental healthcare provider when assigned.
- Use the program’s electronic health records system (EHR) to manage appointments and coordinate clinical documentation.
- Participate in the implementation of programming as needed.
- Participate in outreach as needed.
- Prepare reports as requested by Director.
- Help design and facilitate workshops, activities, and programs that will contribute to the overall development of Columbia College Chicago students.
- Perform related tasks as assigned.
- 2nd year in a Master's degree program in Counseling Psychology or Social Work
- Previous counseling experience with depressed, anxious, eating disorders, body image, anger management, substance use, trauma preferred
- Working knowledge of cultural competency
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Proficiency with computers
PLEASE READ, IMPORTANT
- Address cover letters to “Counseling Services Team”. * Email cover letters and resumes to: email@example.com
- We are looking to accept three (3) students for the 2019/2020 academic year.
- This placement requires previous experience in a clinical setting.
- Experience providing therapy is strongly recommended.
- Candidates must be able to verbalize how their current clinical knowledge will help them succeed in their placement at Counseling Services.
- Candidates must be able to articulate their clinical effectiveness using interventions to treat mental health disorders.
- Candidates must be comfortable working autonomously within the first two weeks of the placement.
- We do not follow ACEPT guidelines.
- Candidates will be expected to fulfill 24 hours per week during the fall and spring semester. No exceptions.
- In order to ensure there is office space available for therapy sessions and to meet the service demands of our department, shifts are staggered. Changes in scheduling causes problems with office availability. Once a shift is finalized, there will not be changes.
- The 24 hours per week will consist of three, 8-hour days.
- Late shifts are available Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday only. The office is open until 6 pm on those days.
- A mandatory two (2) week training is scheduled for August 19, 2019 – August 30, 2019. Candidates who cannot attend the entire training will not be offered a placement. No exceptions.
- In order to provide quality services and uphold standards of care, it is important that clinical interns commit to our attendance policy. Please note, clinical interns do not receive vacation or sick time. Therefore, candidates who are employed, have teaching assistantships, plan to study abroad in 2019/2020, plan to travel during the semester, or have other demanding commitments are not a match for our program. Please do not apply.
- Candidates who are accepted are to provide proof of professional liability coverage before August 30, 2019.
- The tentative academic calendar for Columbia College Chicago during Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 is as follows:
- Semester begins Tuesday, September 2, 2018 . . . . . . Semester ends Saturday, December 14, 2019
- Semester begins Tuesday, January 21, 2020 . . . . . .. Semester ends Saturday, May 16, 2020
Email cover letter and resume to Counseling Services at firstname.lastname@example.org