International Student Scholar Services

Inviting Family Members to Visit the U.S.

During or upon completion of your studies at Columbia College Chicago you may want to invite your parents or other family members to visit. Here are some suggestions to help them apply for a visitor’s visa (B-2) at a US consulate or embassy in their home country. Applications for any US Visas must happen outside the US.

To facilitate their visa interview process you should do the following:

Providing your family members with this documentation may improve their chances of obtaining a visa; however, there is no guarantee a visa will be issued. The success of their request for a visa lies in their ability to prove that they have no intention of staying permanently in the U.S.

If you any more questions, contact ISSS via e-mail at