Name, SSN, and Taxpayer ID Changes


Legal name changes can be completed with the submission of the Student Identity Verification Form and the appropriate legal documentation. The completed form and documentation must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar. This form can also be used to change your social security number, or provide the college with your social security number or your taxpayer identification number. Your birthdate can also be corrected using this form. The proper documentation for these changes is specified in the form.


This section applies to non-legal first name changes only. To process a legal name change, please see Student Identity Verification Form.

Students can change their first name at Columbia without legal documentation for most (but not all) campus identification purposes. The systems that can be changed include Loop e-mail, Canvas, Moodle and OASIS  which affect class rosters and grade entry. The college does not change a student's legal name, without legal documentation, in any system that is linked to the student's permanent record  (i.e., financial aid, billing, or transcripts). These documents will continue to show the legal name. Please click on Non-legal First Name Change Form to begin the process. You will be required to sign in with your OASIS log-on and password. You will receive an e-mail confirmation once your request has been reviewed and processed. After you have been notified of the change, please visit the Campus Card Office, 600 S. Michigan, 3rd floor, to request a card with your updated name.