Employment Information for International Students

International students are eligible for on-campus jobs; you can search for jobs via Handshake.

If you accept an on-campus position, please report the job title, start and end dates, and any additional pertinent information to ISSS. You must report the job within 10 working days of the start date. You must update this information each semester that you work, or if your job changes.

General Information

  • To work on-campus, a student must be enrolled as a full-time student, and be in good status; a student can begin working when they arrive at Columbia their freshman year, though not prior to 30 days before classes begin. Student must maintain good status to continue working on-campus.
  • You can work in more than one position for up to a total of 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters, and a total of 25 hours per week during the summer semester.

Eligibility Requirements

  • You must enroll for at least 12 hours if undergraduate, 9 hours if graduate.
  • Have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
  • Have current and valid identity documents (e.g. passport, F-1 or J-1Visa, I-94, and I-20).

Applying for Jobs

  • Visit Handshake to see job openings.
  • Upload your resume to Handshake, fill out your profile, and apply for on-campus jobs.
  • Interested department supervisors will contact you for a job interview.

Find and Apply for Jobs on Handshake

  • If You Have a Social Security Card
    1. Your supervisor will complete a hire request online.
    2. You will receive an email, informing you to visit the Student Employment office with valid and original forms of identification. Copies cannot be accepted.
    3. Students must complete hiring documents on or before their first date of employment.

    Important: If you are hired and do not have a social security card, you must apply for the card.

  • If You Need a Social Security Card
    1. You must obtain 2 separate Employment Eligibility letters. First letter must be an Employment Eligibility letter from Global Education.
    2. Bring the Employment Eligibility letter and forms of identification to the Student Employment office, and you will receive your Employment Confirmation letter.
    3. Take both letters and your identity documents to the Social Security Administration Office – 77 W. Jackson, Room 300, Chicago IL.You will receive a receipt to show you applied.
    4. Bring the receipt to Student Employment to receive notification that states that you can start working. You will not be paid until you receive your social security card in the mail.
    5. When you receive your Social Security Card, return to the Student Employment office with the Social Security Card to complete the hiring process.

    Request a Letter