J Visa Information
J-visas are part of an "exchange", often in accordance with an agreement between Columbia College Chicago and another university or organizations. J-visa holders can also be scholars, professors, or experts here for short-term academic or cultural exchanges.
J-visa recepients have a DS-2019, a document that outlines their stay at Columbia. They should update their travel signatures every 6 months.
Students must remain enrolled full-time throughout their studies at Columbia College Chicago.
Any changes to program of study or residing address should be updated to the ISSS within 10 days of change.
Academic Training (AT), is an optional internship period that J-1 students can participate in during their time at Columbia College Chicago. AT can take place either concurrently with study, or after the completion of study. It can only last for the duration of the program, or 18 months, whichever is shorter.
If interested in AT, please make an appointment to meet with the ISSS office and fill out the form below that requires the following information:
- The goals and objectives of the training
- The description of the training
- Location, name, address, # of hours/week, dates of training
After filling out the form, please make an appointment to meet with the ISSS Coordinator to finalize your AT. You can make an appointment here.
Please bring the following things to your appointment:
- Your Passport
- Your current DS-2019
- A letter from your Academic Training location that certifies your AT proposal; it should include the following:
- The location of the training
- The dates and hours per week
- How the student will be supervised, and who the supervisor is
- The letter should be signed on official letterhead
- In some instances, an email will suffice for confirmation; please check with the ISSS office if you have questions or concerns