Student Organization and Club Sport Advisors
Being an advisor is a valuable way to connect and inspire students to exercise the leadership potential within themselves. Student Organizations and Leadership would like to thank you for taking on this important role and would like to provide you with a few resources to assist you along the way.
We are currently seeking faculty and staff advisors for both our Student Organizations and Club Sports. If you are interested in being a faculty or a staff advisor please contact the Director of Student Organizations and Leadership, Orterio Villa at firstname.lastname@example.org
Forms and Resources
An advisor’s responsibilities can include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain open communication with the Coordinator for Student Organization.
- Assisting in the development of the organization and its members.
- Attending as many organizational meetings and functions as possible.
- Meeting with organization officers or membership to discuss the progress and direction of the group.
- Being available to the officers and members.
- Attending any program/event that requires a building extension or extra security
- Submitting building extension or extra security forms
- Be familiar with Columbia policies, resources, procedures and the Student Organization Handbook. Remain knowledgeable about the organization and its mission, as well as the officers and members.
- Assist the organization in its attempts to fulfill their goals
- Providing guidance to the organization on goal setting, program planning, collaboration, time management and problem solving
- Assisting student orgs with proper interpretation of institutional and departmental policies and procedures
- Mediating interpersonal conflicts that may arise
- Reviewing and approving all forms submitted by the organization
- Advise organization(s) regarding programming, usage of facilities, budget operation, fiscal responsibilities and other policies and procedures.
- Be aware of and involved in the planning of student organization’s major activities.
- Attend major organization events such as conference travel, concerts, workshops, etc.
- Be available for questions and consultation with the student organization and the Student Activities office.