We invite all undergraduate, MFA and Master’s Degree students eligible to graduate during December 2021 – August 2022, to participate in the Commencement Student Speaker Competition.
Four students will be selected to deliver one of the four student addresses at Columbia’s Commencement exercises on May 14 and 15. The committee will be looking for an engaging message that draws meaningful connections to your student experience yet resonate with your fellow graduates.
To be eligible:
- You must be receiving a degree at the ceremony at which you wish to speak; and
- You must have earned at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA in your Columbia coursework through the fall 2021 semester.
To enter, the following items must be submitted:
- A brief personal statement setting out the reasons why you wish to speak on behalf of your fellow graduates and how your Columbia experience has shaped what you might want to say;
- An outline of your proposed speech;
- A current résumé; and
- Two reference letters – at least one from a member of Columbia’s faculty or staff, the other from any individual of your choosing – who can speak to the reasons why you might make a compelling speaker.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 11:59 p.m. CDT on Sunday, April 17.