Animals on Campus
Applications and documentation submitted after the deadline will be reviewed but there is no guarantee that the request will be approved.
Fall Semester: For an animal in the fall, applications have a deadline of May 1.
Spring Semester: For an animal in the Spring, applications have a deadline of November 1.
- Assistance Animal Policy and Acknowledgement and Release of Information Consent Form to be reviewed, and then signed and dated by you.
- Assistance Animal in Housing Verification Form,
- Please note that this form must be completed by your current doctor, therapist or other reliable licensed third party who can verify that you have a disability and your disability-related need for an assistance animal.
- Assistance Animal Housing Request and Registration Form, which should include:
- Current Vaccinations.
- Vet Records.
- Photo of Animal.
- Photo of Kennel/Cage/Carrier.
Columbia College Chicago provides reasonable housing accommodations to students with disabilities who have a verifiable need for the accommodation. A reasonable accommodation is an exception to the usual rules, policies, practices or services that a resident with a disability may need to have an equal opportunity to use and enjoy college housing.
To begin the process, you need to complete the following:
- The online Application for Services on MySSD. You will be required to use your Columbia College Chicago credentials.
- Please use our Instruction Guide to help with the application.
- The Verification of Disability form.
- This form is to be completed by your doctor, therapist or other reliable licensed third party who can verify that you have a disability and your disability-related need for a housing accommodation to provide you with an equal opportunity to use and enjoy college housing. Your provider should include as much information as possible and at a minimum, sufficient detail showing a clear nexus between the functional limitations/impacts experienced by you due to your disability and the need for the requested accommodation for equal access to housing.
- Once completed, you will need to submit it via MySSD as part of your application.
- You can also submit any other documentation that you would like our office to review. If you need classroom accommodations, please review our Documentation Guidelines for the type of documentation needed and contact our office regarding any questions.
After we receive your application and documentation, our staff will review it and then contact you with questions and to schedule an Intake appointment. The intake appointment allows us to discuss with you your disability and what accommodations and other supports we can put in place to assist you.
Note: Housing accommodations are based upon first come, first served and available inventory at the time. We encourage you to submit your application and documentation as soon as possible.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.