Student Help & SupportHow do I access...
Loopmail is the official student email of Columbia. All official Columbia email communications will be delivered via Loopmail, so it is important that students check their account regularly. Also, a variety of registration information, billing information, financial aid information, an all-student newsletter and several targeted newsletters are available for students to receive each month. This information can all be found in the Loopmail inbox.
Logging in to Loopmail:
- Visit the Loopmail login page. Your Loopmail account will be accessed through Gmail. For a current student registered at Columbia, the default login combo is Username: firstname.lastname.
For Loopmail support, call 312.369.7001, or email email@example.com Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Office 365 for students is coming
In our efforts to offer the latest technology, Columbia College Chicago is pleased to announce that we will be expanding our Microsoft Office 365 implementation to include you (and all other students) starting this Spring 2019.
What this means for you:
- Free access to Microsoft’s Office 365 software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and more.
- The ability to download the Office productivity tools on 15 devices.
- Students and faculty will now be in the same system.
- Full integration between Canvas and Microsoft services.
- The Office 365 rollout will also involve creating a new Microsoft Office 365 email account. Your new account is necessary for you to access the Office 365 software.
Some important information about the switch:
- Your Loop email account will still be active, and all official college communication will utilize your Loop email until August 31, 2019.
- Students will still sign in to Canvas and Oasis with their Oasis ID number and Oasis password. Canvas will still send notifications and faculty will still communicate with you through your Loop email until August 31, 2019.
- You will still have access to your Columbia Gmail account and any associated Google services (Google Drive, Cal, etc.) associated with your Gmail account.
- Your new email address will end with @colum.edu instead of loop.colum.edu. For example, firstname.lastname@example.org now become email@example.com. NOTE: students that use a preferred first name will have the first initial of that name.
- Your Office 365 account password consists of your capital first name initial, last name initial and your six-digit birth date. For example, John Doe with a DOB: 05/24/2000, initial password would be: You will be asked to change this during your first login.
- Unfortunately, there are currently no migration tools available to move your Gmail correspondences to your Office 365 email account. However, you may forward your Columbia Gmail account to your new Office 365 email account.
We hope to make the process as seamless as possible. Please reach out to the Client Services at (312) 369-7001, or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any concerns regarding your mailbox adoption.
For more product information on Office 365, please visit the Office 365 portion of this site, which inlcudes Microsoft quick guides and Lynda.com.
For instructions on how to set up your Office 365 account, you may watch this instructional video which will walk you through the process.
Online Administrative Student Information System (OASIS) is the online tool students use to register for classes, pay tuition and fees, check academic progress, and update their official address and contact information, as well as their emergency contact information. Visit oasis.colum.edu to log in.
For OASIS login support, call 312.369.7001, or email email@example.com Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Canvas is the LMS used by Columbia faculty to manage their courses and it allows students to access course materials, such as course syllabi, assignments, resources, grades, and other materials. The college’s Canvas website is located at canvas.colum.edu.
Students sign in to Canvas with their Oasis ID number and Oasis password.
For login assistance, please contact Client Services by phone at 312-369-7001 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
There is also 24/7 support available through the Canvas website. Users must sign-in and refer to the help icon on the Canvas home page to reach a Canvas representative through chat or phone support.
Why aren't my courses appearing in Canvas?
Please allow 2-4 hours for your courses to appear in Canvas after registration in Oasis.
Why does my dropped course still appear in Canvas?
After you drop your course in Oasis, please allow 2-4 hours for the change to reflect in your Canvas course list.
Students can also view a Canvas student guide here.
- Campus wi-fi
"Columbia Student" is the wireless network dedicated to students. This network is accessed using the same credentials to access OASIS.
Once you select the "Columbia Student" network from your list of available wireless networks, a browser window will pop up asking you to log into the network with your OASIS credentials. If a window does not automatically pop up, open a web browser and attempt to access the portal, and you will be re-directed to the log-in page. If you have any issues, please contact client services at 312-369-7001.
Please note that the "Columbia FacStaff" network is dedicated to Faculty and Staff. This network is accessed using network login credentials.
Lynda.com is the premier online training resource for anyone seeking exceptional, current and relevant software training. Whether you use it to supplement your learning in the classroom or to teach yourself an entirely new skillset, lynda.com is a truly invaluable resource available to the Columbia student community. Just log in to OASIS, click on the training tab and follow the lynda.com link to get started.
The Library provides borrowing privileges for a growing collection of media equipment available to all students including GoPro cameras, camcorders, projectors, laptops, and lightboxes. We also support a Maker Lab, which has a 3D printer, vinyl cutter, button makers, mini sewing machines, and other tools and DIY resources. For more information on services available, please visit us at library.colum.edu.
- Computer & Printing resources
Computers and printing resources are located in the Library, and at 1104 S. Wabash, above the internet cafe on the first floor.
Columbia College Library
624 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60605
Specific academic departments may also operate a lab or labs reserved for their students. Check with the department to locate all on-campus computer labs available to students.
There is also an on-campus Xerox Document Center available to students (at a deep discount) at 619 S. Wabash Ave., 1st floor. This option is best suited for students with large or complex copy projects. Stop by the document center to inquire about current prices and turnaround time.
The center is open Monday through Friday during normal business hours. Students can use Columbia Cash to pay for printing at the library, the Xerox Document Center and some of the academic departments (check with the department first before printing).
- Event Management System (EMS)
The Event Management System (EMS) is an application used to reserve space on Campus. The EMS shows updated availability of meeting rooms and spaces on campus. Students use the EMS to book space for meetings, and events.
Students log in to EMS with their Oasis ID number, and Oasis password. For login assistance, please contact Client Services by phone at 312-369-7001 or by email at email@example.com Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Join the Columbia College Chicago Creative Network today!
Portfolium is a free, digital portfolio and social networking platform for Columbia College Chicago students and alumni. With Portfolium, quickly organize your academic accomplishments and experiences into a portfolio of work by adding "entries" or samples of your projects. Students sign in to Portfolium with their Oasis ID number and Oasis password.
Assign categories, skills, and tags to your projects to make them searchable.
Connect with others, build the creative network of your dreams, and collaborate easily with your peers.
Watch your feed for updates from your connections and show your support for entries that you enjoy.
Grow your audience and keep your profile fresh by regularly adding your most recent activities.
With Portfolium, you can curate your projects, be a part of your creative community, and highlight your job-ready skills today.
Begin by brainstorming any experiences or accomplishments that you feel would help build a positive online identity.
Work/Professional - Expand on each bullet point on your resume with photos and more!
Education - Upload real samples of your coursework (pdfs, Word, Excel, PP, Prezi, SketchFab,SoundCloud, YouTube etc.)
Volunteer Work - Share videos and photos of your volunteer experiences
Clubs & Activities - Show the world what makes you... YOU! (study abroad/travel, hobbies, athletics)
Remember, anytime you need assistance or have questions you can reach out to Portfolium support team via the blue question mark in the lower right corner of your screen. You can also reach out to the Career Center staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact Student Financial Services with payment questions
The Student Financial Services (SFS) office guides students through the process of financing their education. Learning about college costs and all the funding options available is essential to making a college education a reality. SFS is committed to educating students about their options. The office facilitates the federal financial aid process and helps students understand financial options such as private loans, scholarships and assistance programs. Students should visit SFS’s website to follow the four phases of paying for college, submit financial documents, chat with an SFS representative or use the virtual advisor tool.
- Client Services