The mission of the Student Organization Council (SOC) is to provide student organizations and their members the support and resources needed to accomplish their goals. SOC is dedicated to building a stronger campus community by providing club members with opportunities to grow personally, professionally and artistically.
The SOC is comprised of one member of each of the recognized student organizations. The SOC's executive board consists of a President, Community Director, and Finance Director.
SOC meetings are held the first Wednesday of each month at 5 pm in the Boardroom | 754 S. Wabash Avenue, 2nd floor. Meetings are open to all Columbia College Chicago students, faculty, and staff.
Email SOCPresident@colum.edu to schedule your SOC Training!
2019-2020 SOC Meetings in the Boardroom 5 pm - 6 pm
(754 S. Wabash Avenue, 2nd floor)
SOC 2020-2021 Executive Board
Visit us: 754 S. Wabash Avenue, Student Center, 2nd Floor (Open office area) |
Call us: 312-369-6656 (Closed until first day of Fall 2020)
How do I create a Student Organization?
Follow these easy steps to create a new student organization!
- Apply for recognition during the next open application period.
- Find at least 5 students who want to be members of your organization and at least 3 of those students who are willing to be an executive board member.
- Executive board members must maintain a 2.5 GPA.
- Find a Columbia faculty or a staff member to be the advisor for your organization.
- Create a constitution and a list of events or activities that your group would like to do.
- Submit a Student Organization Recognition Packet here.
- Send your President and another executive board member to Student Organization Training.
- Have fun!
Requirements for a Student Organization
- A monthly report must be submitted to the SOC Community Director. Must be submitted the last Tuesday of the month.
- You must have a semesterly 1:1 with the SOC Community Director.
- SOC Representatives must attend the SOC monthly meetings.
- The organization must volunteer at a Student Organizations and Leadership approved Columbia Event each semester (i.e Wicked Week, Columbia Weekend, etc.).
- If you have an advertisement that you would like to print to promote your event or meetings, you are able to print them through Columbia's Digital Printing Center.
- For events that would require purchasing things such as food, decorations, or anything that would take from your fundraising or SOC budget; you must submit a Student Organization Proposal (SOP) form.
- To submit a Xerox or SOP request visit the Student Organization Forms page. BOTH MUST BE SUBMITTED 10 BUSINESS DAYS PRIOR TO THE DESIRED DELIVERY/EVENT.